This was supposed to a pastoral vista of a lake at sunset that would be so beautiful that you would become psychotically jealous. Instead, it is as black as my heart.
A couple of weeks ago I spent a luxurious weekend in Manchester, VT being elegant and feeding fish at Orvis. I also popped over to Dorset, VT to be elegant in the Dorset Marble Quarry.
Rutland is Vermont’s second city that is largely ignored because it is poor and lacks Burlington’s veneer of respectability. I actually like Rutland more than Burlington and here is why:
Reasons To Visit Rutland
- Anna Nicole Smith filmed her last movie in Rutland. It was about aliens.
- The marble quarries in West Rutland are amazing.
- The city was once growing faster than Burlington and you can see it in the grandeur of the buildings downtown.
- They have Amtrak service to NYC via Albany, NY.
- Gil’s subs are amazing and there are several other classic sandwich shops in Rutland.
- The Holiday Inn has a great complimentary breakfast buffet.
- You can easily get to Manchester, VT and Killington from Rutland.
- Rutland has a real fake salt cave you can pay money to sit in.
- The Rutland Farmer’s Market is AMAZING.
Rutland has a lot of cool public murals. This piece of public art was honoring the work of Christo and Jeanne-Claude who happen to be two of my favorite artists.